Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What's your calling?

Call.  Most often the term is used when people feel led by God into the ministry.  "I am called to the ministry of the church to be a pastor."  Yet, I think for most persons of faith, their call does not necessarily mean with the church.  Many of you career minded, and not so career minded people may agree with me.  For example, I think that nurses are called to their jobs.  I would hazard a guess and say that my wife would agree with the statement that she is called to Social Work. Both of these careers are a ministry and a calling to take care of others who were also made Imago Dei.


My struggle is that I know I am called, but have not discerned my niche.  I am called to ministry; ordained ministry, chaplaincy, non-paid ministry...to be truthful, I don't know.  Oftentimes, I have not prayed enough for discernment.  Oftentimes, I plain flat put my own wishes and desires in the way.  I do, however, feel that my calling was, is, and will be multi-faceted.  I wrote in a previous posting that I am learning to be happy in the moment.  I am embracing what God has for me now, today.  I would be remiss if I didn't look toward the future, but I cannot dwell upon what might be or what might should be and miss everything that is.  Today I am called to my family, to continue to learn how to be the leader of my household.  Tomorrow, I may be called to lead a church, or shepherd the physically, emotionally, spiritually, or psychologically ill.  I don't know, nor should I let the unknown consume me.  To be cliche, I continue working on letting go and letting God, and remain in the peace and grace of the current moment.


Shalom, Grace, and Blessings.


J.Rat.


And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life? Matthew 6:27 (NRSV).
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.  Isaiah 55.8-9.  (NRSV)

1 comment:

  1. Love the scripture references!

    Praying for your trust in God's sovereignty in the unknown.

    ReplyDelete

Citadels of Learning

A simple, brief reflection I had back in February.  I would like to kickstart my writing/musings/ thoughts, so things that I never deemed &q...