Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Citadels of Learning

A simple, brief reflection I had back in February.  I would like to kickstart my writing/musings/ thoughts, so things that I never deemed "perfect" are getting a little push.

The typical morning ritual for school drop-off includes a silly statement such as, "I hope you have a Thunderous Thursday, Fabulous Friday, or a Wonderfulubulous Wednesday."  Today, it felt different.  I needed to take the extra 5 to 10 minutes just to work through the thoughts that our schools are becoming the killing grounds.  They are transforming into Citadels of Learning, and, unfortunately, we don't always cover the chinks in our fortifications.  

So I parked.  Asked if I could carry her backpack.  "Yes, daddy.  It's heavy today, I have my dog encyclopedia in it."  We held hands.  Almost skipped across the road, but that would be embarrassing, so we didn't.  I reflected on Alan Sherouse's words after the Ash Wednesday school shooting in Lakeland, FL:  "But my kids? They’re all parts glitter and no parts ash. And I don’t want to be the one to tell them, “Remember you are dust…” The world will tell them that clearly enough." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Citadels of Learning

A simple, brief reflection I had back in February.  I would like to kickstart my writing/musings/ thoughts, so things that I never deemed &q...